Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe
French shipyard CMN situated in the Port of Cherbourg and turbine developer HydroQuest have signed a partnership agreement on turbine construction.This step follows the call for expression of interest for the French pilot tidal farms, to which the two companies will jointly apply.The announcement was made at the “Thetis EMR” International Convention on Marine Renewable Energies, being held on 9 and 10 April in Cherbourg.Besides CMN and HydroQuest, Valorem and the University of Caen are members of the Searieus consortium, which plans to deploy ten 1.3MW double vertical axis tidal turbines at the Raz Blanchard site off Normandy.This French consortium has a deadline until 25 April to submit their application.Offshore WIND staff, April 10, 2014; Image: offshorewind
A Lincolnshire firm has been praised by a judge for the ‘exemplary’ way it investigated a series of thefts by a solicitor, who was jailed last week. Jacquelina Laverick, who was head of the wills and probate department at the 200-year-old firm, stole cash from estates she was administering and from the accounts of vulnerable clients for whom she was acting as a deputy appointed by the Court of Protection. Jailing Laverick for three years after she admitted stealing more than £200,000, the judge said she had been motivated by ‘pure greed’. Laverick, who practised under her maiden name of Jacqui Johns, even deceived her own grandmother, who was due to benefit by more than £50,000 from a legacy left to her in 2007, but received just £342. Laverick stole from 11 client accounts over a three-year period and shredded paper files in a bid to cover her tracks. She admitted 10 charges of theft involving a total of £214,870, and two charges of converting criminal property. The offences took place between December 2005 and June 2009. Judge Michael Heath said: ‘It was done out of pure greed… The solicitors’ profession is an honourable profession. The vast majority of solicitors up and down the country practise diligently and honestly. Among them are Chattertons, which is a long-established and highly regarded Lincolnshire firm. ‘As a result of what you did, a great deal of investigation work had to be carried out by the company. Chattertons has dealt with this in an exemplary fashion. It must have been a nightmare for them to discover that a trusted employee had behaved as you did.’ Patrick Cordingley, a senior partner at Chattertons, said after the case that the stolen money has been refunded by insurers. ‘We have ensured that no client has suffered any financial loss through this woman’s dishonesty, but the effect of what she has done has been devastating for our employees,’ he said. Meanwhile, Leeds solicitor Simon Morgan, 50, who was senior partner at Milners in Leeds, was convicted of six counts of theft, amounting to a total of £1.4m, at Leeds Crown Court last week. The Solicitors Regulation Authority said proceedings against Morgan have been lodged with the Solicitors’ Disciplinary Tribunal, and a hearing is inevitable in relation to Laverick.
Proceeds of the sale include USD1 million cash, a USD1.5 million secured promissory note and 100,000 shares ofBroadwind common stock held by the buyer. In addition BTI assumed about USD2.9 million of debt and capital leases, plus about USD1.6 million of operating lease obligations.”In late 2010 we determined that owning a captive logistics company was not core to our operating and growth strategies,” said Peter C. Duprey, Broadwind’s president and chief executive officer.”BTI will continue to provide logistics and transport services to our customers from time to time,” he added. “The sale of this business will reduce our financial obligations and enable us to focus more closely on our tower, gearing and service offerings for customers in the energy and infrastructure markets.”
Koncar manufactured the transformers for a project in Dubai.As part of the project, Altius had to coordinate the transport of the transformers from Zagreb to Rijeka by rail. From there, they were shipped to Jebel Ali. www.grupoaltius.com
Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. SHARE NEW YORK (AP) – Investigators of last weekend’s bombings have released an image of two men who took a suitcase they found on a city street, possibly without realizing a wired pressure cooker they removed from it and left behind could have blown them to bits.Police investigating the bombings in New York and New Jersey have been saying for several days they were looking for the men, who they stressed were being sought as potential witnesses in the case, not as suspects.“They’re not in any jeopardy of being arrested,” Jim Watters, chief of the New York Police Department’s counterterrorism unit, said on Wednesday. “We have no reason to believe they’re connected.”Federal prosecutors have charged Ahmad Khan Rahami with detonating a pipe bomb in a New Jersey shore town on Saturday morning and a pressure cooker bomb in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood later that night. Thirty-one people were injured in the New York blast. A second pressure cooker bomb left in Manhattan didn’t explode and is the subject of the latest public plea.Prosecutors said surveillance video shows Rahami rolling a suitcase down the street, then abandoning it on the sidewalk where that second device was found.A few minutes later, two men pass by the luggage and appear to admire it, police said. They then remove a pressure cooker from the luggage, leave the pressure cooker on the sidewalk and walk away with the luggage.“I think they were more interested in the bag, not what they were taking out,” Watters said, adding that they were “very, very lucky” the bomb didn’t explode.In court papers, a public defender sought a court appearance for Rahami, an Afghan-born U.S. citizen, so he can hear the federal terrorism charges against him.Rahami, 28, was arrested on Monday following a shootout with police in Linden, New Jersey. He is being held on $5.2 million bail, and he faces state charges of attempted murder of police officers.Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Rahami will be moved to New York to face federal charges in the “near future.”In a bloodied journal recovered by investigators, Rahami made references to Osama bin Laden, American-born Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and former Army officer Nidal Hasan, who went on a shooting rampage in Ford Hood, Texas, according to a federal complaint.In one section, the complaint says, Rahami wrote: “Death to your oppression.”Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, touring the site of the Manhattan blast on Wednesday, said he believes insurance companies will cover most of the losses incurred by those whose businesses and homes were damaged. But he said if there are gaps in coverage, the state would pay for anything left outstanding from its emergency funds.Also Wednesday, a homeless man who took a backpack from a garbage can near a train station in Elizabeth, New Jersey, on Sunday night, not knowing it contained pipe bombs prosecutors say were made by Rahami, said he’s grateful he didn’t prompt an explosion.“I don’t like to think about what could have happened, but I’m just so blessed and glad it didn’t,” Lee Parker said. “I still have my nine lives, I guess, and I’m going to keep trying to live them well.” Related Articles: Author: Associated Press Published: September 21, 2016 1:14 PM EDT Updated: October 7, 2016 2:35 AM EDT Potential N.Y. bombing witnesses seen with suitcase are sought
Published: June 17, 2017 8:26 PM EDT Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. SHARE Stephen Furst, Flounder in ‘Animal House,’ dies at 63 LOS ANGELES (AP) Stephen Furst, who played naive fraternity pledge Flounder in the hit movie “Animal House,” has died of complications from diabetes, his family said Saturday. Furst was 63.Furst died Friday at his home in Moorpark, California, north of Los Angeles, said his son, Nathan Furst.Furst played Kent “Flounder” Dorfman in the 1978 film that also starred John Belushi. It was Belushi’s character, Blutarsky, who drew Flounder into a prank that went terribly wrong and ended up with the frantic Flounder shooting a horse.Furst’s long list of credits included the 1980s medical drama “St. Elsewhere,” on which he played Dr. Elliot Axelrod. He played Vir Coto and was an occasional director on the 1990s sci-fi series “Babylon 5.”He also voiced characters on projects including TV’s “Buzz Lightyear of Star Command” and the video “The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea.”“He was proudest of his family, and he felt blessed and incredibly privileged to have the career that he had an enjoyed,” Nathan Furst said Saturday.Stephen Furst also was a director and producer, working with his other son, Griff. Their Curmudgeon Film projects included the movies “My Sister’s Keeper” and “Cold Moon,” a suspense thriller set for release in October, Griff Furst said.Stephen Furst’s survivors include his wife, Lorraine, and two grandchildren, his sons said.
Magic circle firm Linklaters was called in to advise banking group Lloyds on whether it could pull out of the disastrous takeover of HBOS agreed at the height of the financial crisis, court documents have shown.The firm, which advised Lloyds in the run-up to the takeover, had been drafted in again ahead of an expected trading update by HBOS in December 2008, two months after the deal had been agreed.The HBOS rescue is the subject of a £600 million group action case, brought by around 6,000 former Lloyds shareholders who claim that Lloyds’ takeover was pushed through and recommended by Lloyds executives despite the fact they knew it would be ’disastrous’ for shareholders. Lloyds denies the claims.One document published to support the claim, prepared by Linklaters partners Jeremy Parr and Matthew Bland, said at the time that ‘although the exact content of the trading update is not known, it is expected that this will contain details of developments in relation to write-downs required to be made by HBOS on, among other things, its corporate loan book’.However it added: ‘Regardless of the severity of the trading update, it is not likely that its release would constitute grounds upon which Lloyds could withdraw from the acquisition.’The documents appear to shed more light on the role that Linklaters played in the build up to and fallout from the deal and come as Parr prepares to give evidence in the case. Parr, formerly head of corporate at the magic circle firm and now general counsel at trading company Jardine Matheson Holdings, is due to give evidence for two days, starting on Monday.After the takeover Lloyds took on a portfolio of bad assets owned by HBOS as well as huge debts. The government then bailed out the conglomerate to the tune of £20.3 billion.The shareholder group is represented by London firm Harcus Sinclair, which specialises in bringing group action cases on behalf of individuals and corporate clients while Lloyds is represented by City firm Herbert Smith Freehills.
UK: Transport Secretary Philip Hammond invited bids to buy HS1 Ltd on June 21. Currently a wholly -owned subsidiary of the state-owned London & Continental Railways Ltd, HS1 Ltd has a 30 year concession to manage the 109 km high speed line between London and the Channel Tunnel. The Secretary of State for Transport will continue to own the land and infrastructure, while HS1 Ltd will have the right to sell access to the track and stations on a commercial basis, monitored by the Office of Rail Regulation. Hammond said the winning bidder would be ‘incentivised to attract new operators serving new routes.’ A further concession could be let when the 30-year period expires. Selling HS1 Ltd is ‘part of the government’s approach to making our national assets, and every taxpayer pound, work harder’, said Hammond. ‘The government does not have to run everything directly, we need to take prompt action where private enterprise can provide both a better deal and a superior service to the public.’ The sale is being managed on behalf of the government by London & Continental Railways Ltd, advised by UBS. Responses to the pre-qualification questionnaire must be submitted by midday on July 9.
SWITZERLAND: The Federal Supreme Court has upheld two appeals by the preferred bidders against the Federal Administrative Court’s decision to block the award of two contracts for fitting out the 15·4 km Ceneri base tunnel.The losing bidders for the contracts had appealed to the Federal Administrative Court, which ruled in March that the contracts should be retendered. However the preferred bidders then launched their own appeal to the higher court. In August project promoter AlpTransit Gotthard warned that the opening of the tunnel would have to be put back from December 2019 if the contracts could not be awarded to the preferred bidders, with a significant impact on planned changes to the national timetable.The SFr96·4m tracklaying contract will now signed with the Mons Ceneris consortium of Mancini & Marti, Marti Contractors, Marti Tunnelbau, Pizzarotti, GCF and Valditerra Lavori Ferroviari. The SFr129m Railway Systems & Overall Co-ordination contract will be signed with the CPC consortium of Cablex, Porr Suisse, Porr Bau, Condotte, Cossi and LGV.